Foreign Residents Telephone: 07931673337

Driving in GB as a visitor or a new resident.

On this page of the website, we will give you the licence information required to drive on British roads.

NEW licence checker tool.

A valid full licence issued as a result of a test passed in any EC/EEA country. You need not immediately exchange it for a GB one.

Your EC/EEA licence remains valid you can drive in GB until age 70 or for 3 years. After becoming resident here whichever is the longer period.

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland. Portugal. Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway.

You can also exchange a full valid car license issued from any of the followings


Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea. Singapore. South Africa, Switzerland, Zimbabwe.

Please Note!

If you hold a valid licence from one of these countries you can drive here, for 1 year. Using your non–GB car licence.

You can apply to exchange it for a GB licence up to 5 years after you come to live here. But if you wish to take a driving test within this time you will need to exchange your non-GB licence.

Very important for Foreign Residents, please note!

If you do not exchange. Your licence within the 5 year period then you will have to apply for a provisional licence. Apply for a  GB theory and practical test.

Special conditions apply to Japanese licences these must be accompanied by an official translation. Available for a fee from the Consulate General of Japan at 101-104 Piccadilly, London WIV9FN. Or 2 Melville Crescent, Edinburgh EH37HW.

Republic of Korea licences, must be accompanied by an official translation. Available for a fee, from the Embassy of the Republic of Korea, 60 Buckingham Gate, London SW1E6AJ.

Canadian licences provided documentary evidence can be produced that a test has been passed in a vehicle with manual transmission. A licence will be issued with both manual and automatic entitlement. Without this evidence, licences will be issued limited to automatics only.

Very important, please note!

Northern Ireland Foreign Residents You may exchange your NI licence for a GB one. If it was issued on or after 1 January 1976. You may also use your current Northern Ireland licence here until it runs out.

To hold a  full GB licence unless you are normally resident in this country. Normal residence means the place where you normally live and have personal or occupational ties. If you have moved to the UK after recently being permanently resident in another state of the EC/EEA. You must have been a normally resident or have been studying in the UK for six months. In the previous 12 months prior to your application for a driving test. Evidence of this will need to be provided.

New residents who have ever had or presently suffer from any medical condition. Should visit and check “medical rules for drivers”

You can now obtain the UK theory test book in your own language, just visit:

Special notice if you speak Hindi, Urdu, Gujarati or Punjabi it’s possible to obtain UK theory books in your own language, just visit:

Exchanging licences from countries other than EC/EEA or designated COUNTRIES are not allowed. However, you can drive here using your current full non-GB licence or International Driving Permit for up to one year. If you wish to take a driving test. You will need to apply for a GB provisional licence using application form D1.

For information on ( how to apply for a GB provisional licence ) see the\previous website page Licence applications or visit:


With this in mind

Start Learning To Drive Today

Give Karen or Loraine a call. Schedule your first driving lesson and start your journey.